If you are interested in adoption, please fill out application. Only emails with an application will be contacted.
We used to do boarding & day care but switched to rescuing dogs. Much more rewarding, lots of fun too matching people to dogs.
We do everything we can to assist rescue groups and their dogs in finding good, solid, happy homes. Because of our dog camp boarding experience we’re uniquely able to spot and fix problems. If you’ve adopted a rescue, we’re the only rescue able to help you with behaviour problems, emotional problems and adjustment problems because we also work with rescues. We have sources and resources to help make your match work.
To adopt a dog from this site, you will have specific Contact info for each dog. Some dogs are here directly so you’ll contact us BY FILLING OUT AN APPLICATION FORM – We will not respond to emails or calls without an application. We just don’t have that kind of time feeding 40+ dogs twice a day, playing with them, making appointments to meet dogs…. and you show us that you are serious about adopting when an app is filled out and sent in.
If the dog listed is marked ‘COURTESY POSTING’ the dog is in the care another rescue group, their contact info (tel# or email address) will be provided. PLEASE CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY.
Unless otherwise stated, all dogs have their shots, are spayed or neutered (unless too young), dewormed and de-parasited and in good health and you get 6 weeks free pet insurance as well.
Obedience training or behaviour training is usually required for young dogs. These dogs want to be part of a family and we do everything we can to ensure they are housebroken and not food or toy possessive but we can’t train all the dogs – that’s your job. We will always have resources available to you for help at anytime after adoption and expect you also to do everything possible to make the adoption stick and look forward to a rewarding experience for you, the dog and us.
Please fill out an application form before calling or emailing questions. If we do not receive an application your email will be deleted. Our time is spent caring for these dogs, sometimes as many as 30 dogs at a time, and you show us serious intent to adopt when you take the time to fill out the application. Email the completed form to email@example.com The Adoption fee includes spay/neuter, all shots, Heartworm test, deworming/de-parasting by us at least once and is $450
Please, if you want to adopt a dog – we require you take up to 24 hrs ‘think about it’ time and when an agreement is reached you take the dog home as quickly as possible. We can not ‘hold’ adopted dogs “til the weekend” or you “are back from holidays” as there are many, many other dogs dying in shelters who need that space.
All dogs are screened for temperament prior to arriving at Camp. Our on-site staff has experience in temperance testing, and an ability to identify issues. We spay/neuter, have all shots and heartworm testing done prior to adoption with all paperwork available. When the dogs arrive from a pound we immediately start deworming (Panacur 5 days for all worms and Giardia and flea prevention whether they are known to have them or not.
We are happy to have you come to meet our dogs, play with them, learn about them BY APPT ONLY. We have the dogs in foster homes, scheduled play times etc and feed times to keep them healthy. Please respect that.
There IS such a thing a BBDS – BIG BLACK DOG SYNDROME
These dogs are in shelters and rescues for much longer, sometimes up to a year, before being adopted. When I read about it in People Magazine a while ago, I was shocked! I LOVE BLACK DOGS and it never occurred to me that anyone else wouldn’t but apparently the perception is that they are menacing looking. I know for a fact they don’t take great pictures without perfect light – takes hours or days to get some of the shots of of our black dogs that are on the site now. PLEASE! If you think black dogs are menacing or unattractive, GO LOOK AT SOME at your local shelter or rescue or make an appointment to meet them here. You’ll be amazed at how many wonderful, loving dogs are being passed over – IT’S NUTS! Sometimes we fear too much what we don’t know or isn’t familiar. Go pat someone’s black dog today!
Top Ten Reasons To Adopt A Black Dog
1. We cannot clash with your furniture or clothing, and some of you actually worry about that.
2. We cannot clash with any collar you might choose either! Ditto for bandannas. Accessorize us!
3. Ease of vacuuming! You can quickly spot the areas of most urgent need.
4. Excellent night walk protection, the “bad guy” won’t see us til it’s too late!
5. We hide dirt well (doesn’t mean we don’t need that bath after a messy play, but your guests won’t be able to see it so quickly).
6. We make an excellent “backdrop” for a second, more colorful dog if you choose to have more than one.
7. Availability! We are available now at every shelter you can imagine, in every age bracket, no long waiting lists, no long search!
8. Status symbol potential. Black pearls are the most costly you know….
9. No annoying queries “what kind of dog is that” people are content with “big black dog” and don’t ask!
10. We need you!
We have learned that many rescues won’t adopt to older people. I think ‘older people’, me being one of them, are plenty young enough for a dog and needs them BUT should have an ‘older’ dog – age appropriate is what it’s about. Many ‘older people’ think puppies are their only option and don’t want the work – don’t blame them – but ADULT DOGS are perfect for ADULT PEOPLE!
Top Ten Reasons To Adopt An Older Dog
1. Older dogs are house trained. You won’t have to go through the difficult stage(s) of teaching a puppy house manners and mopping/cleaning up after accidents.
2. Older dogs are not teething puppies, and won’t chew your shoes and furniture while growing up.
3. Older dogs can focus well because they’ve mellowed. Therefore, they learn quickly.
4. Older dogs have learned what “no” means. If they hadn’t learned it, they wouldn’t have gotten to be “older” dogs.
5. Older dogs settle in easily, because they’ve learned what it takes to get along with others and become part of a pack.
6. Older dogs are good at giving love, once they get into their new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance they’ve been given.
7. What You See Is What You Get: Unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.
8. Older dogs are instant companions — ready for hiking, car trips, and other things you like to do.
9. Older dogs leave you time for yourself, because they don’t make the kinds of demands on your time and attention that puppies and young dogs do.
10. Older dogs let you get a good night’s sleep because they’re accustomed to human schedules and don’t generally need nighttime feedings, comforting, or bathroom breaks.
*Adapted from Labrador Retriever Rescue’s “Top Ten Reasons to Adopt a Rescue”
<”t2″ class="collapseomatic " id="id2010" title="”WARNING:">”WARNING:”t2″>
To Rescuers AND ADOPTERS there is a rescue sending dogs to Canada from Youngstown OH, called FOR THE DOGS who pull dogs from Mahonning County Pound (they may change their name but the pound won’t) who WERE treating Heartworm Positive dogs before sending them but have sent us some COMPLETELY UNTREATED AND WITH FALSE PAPERWORK – the dogs started arriving May 2010 of this year! We have warned many rescues in the GTA and Durham not to take these dogs but there are many foolish or unconcerned people out there who will take them anyway so make sure they guarantee if your dog has a false ‘negative’ from the states or no testing at all that the RESCUE will pay for treatment! If “For The Dogs” or ‘Carrie Butler’ or her helper “Blase” is on that paperwork the dogs have a better than even chance of being sick. They have also sent us two female dog who they claimed were spayed but weren’t.
We do NOT use or advocate the DNA MY DOG company, as their results were so far off the mark on one client and suspect in many others that we can not in good conscience recommend them. The pet industry is a $4 BILLION dollar industry and there are too many companies out there trying to take your dollars without giving value or quality for your hard earned dollars. We also do NOT endorse any reps of Barkbusters EXCEPT Cindy, Monica, Lisa, Krystal Tara and the one in Ottawa. Check your postal code on their site. If these reps aren’t the ones you’ll work with it’s your choice to go ahead. We have not had good feedback from our clients on the other reps. Also we do not endorse or guarantee Claudia Hehr, animal communicator.